Today's Work: I got things set up to show the new guys my unit test, only to discover that the display crashes every time. We narrowed the problem down to a recent change in the build server, so we have to figure out what that is tomorrow, then get back to the testing.
Today's Super Mario Sunshine: The underwater levels are evil. I still don't feel like trying to make Yoshi fly again. And trying to collect 100 coins in some levels is going to be a real pain. It's still fun... just maybe not quite as much fun as it was when it was easier.
Today's Food Experiment: I know temaranight will remember Pizza Ham... anyone else? Well, inspired by the lack of American cheese in my fridge, and not exactly willing to try Swiss, I decided to use up my last slices of ham by wrapping them around pickles and eating Pickle Ham. I was expecting it to be mediocre at best, but it was pretty good. I think pickles work with more foods than they let on.
Not much to say tonight, but I think I'll attempt to revive the "Name Nidoking's favorite character" meme that I ran way back when, in celebration of finally returning to watching Wedding Peach. (I preferred the original opening song, but they both are pleasant to listen to and then end with something beautiful. The second opening reminds me of what I liked of the ending theme from "A Midsummer's Eve", the second Tenchi movie.) The rules haven't changed: Try to guess which character in each of the following series is my favorite. Many of them are easy, and some are just to see whether anyone out there knows anything about the series at all. First, here are the ones from last time that people successfully guessed:
Galaxy Angel - Mint Blancmange. She's just so freaking adorable!
Card Captor Sakura - Tomoyo Daidouji. Too cute for words, generous and kind to a fault, and she made 52 Curses what it was.
Pretear - Mannen. He's energetic and mischievous and loves doing things his own way, even when it causes trouble. Forget comic relief characters like Mayune... it's characters like Mannen who drive the internal conflicts that make the personal part of the story interesting!
Chrono Crusade - Azmaria. Born into an unfortunate situation, she lives to prove she's strong enough to take care of herself. And she's cute.
Azumanga Daioh - Sakaki. Deceptively strong and silent, but she's really a softy who loves cute animals, even if they keep biting her. Kaorin knows how to pick 'em.
Love Hina - Shinobu. I always seem to go for the timid girls who are at their cutest when they fight against their shyness in the interest of romance. That's Shinobu all over.
And here are the ones nobody got right. Some of them will be snapped up immediately, I'm sure.
1. Sailor Moon - Ami/Mercury. I was once a big fan of Jupiter, and I always thought Mercury would look a lot better with longer hair (and someone once sent me a picture that I think corroborates my view). But Ami started to grow on me bit by bit as I realized that she was a thinker, not a fighter, but could still hold her own. Mostly. And she was great in the live action series. She refused to join Sailor Moon at first, due to some confusion over the conditions of their friendship, and the bad vibes between her and Naru were a great plot point in the middle of the series. Small changes that made a big impression on me, anyway.
2. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
3. Ranma 1/2
4. Et Cetera
5. Bleach - Orihime Inoue. Yes, she's got that vacant personality that I find so irresistable, but she also seems to understand a lot more than she lets on. And she's so cute, even her spiritual powers are cute. I've seen lots of girls with fairy familiars, but I don't think many of them were in shounen series. Can anyone think of any others?
6. Wedding Peach
7. Angel Tails
8. Ai Yori Aoshi - Taeko Minazuki. I don't know whether there's a word for her particular blend of klutz and idiot savant, but it suits her so well that I think there needs to be one. A klutz savant, perhaps? I just love the way she manages to get things done properly when she buckles down, despite her ineptitude. The fact that she's incredibly shy about her feelings for Kaoru doesn't hurt her standing at all.
9. Sgt. Frog
And now, a few new ones to round out the list and give you plenty to guess at:
10. Louie the Rune Soldier - Louie. Really, I thought it would be obvious. Each of the girls has something that I like, but none of them can really stand up to the presence that is Louie. He's an idiot and a genius, a half-assed brawler and a master fighter, a wizard and a warrior all at once. And while he's no good at any of it, he's the best at all of it. I still haven't figured out how that works. I suppose this answer might change after I see more of the series (Ila, particularly, could be fun if she appeared a bit more), but Louie's on a throne that will be hard to topple.
11. Genshiken (two possible answers - one is worth half credit)
12. Gunslinger Girl
13. Cromartie High School
14. Petite Princess Yucie
15. Cowboy Bebop - Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky the 4th. If the name doesn't say it all... "Beeeeeeeetaaaaaaa." All of my favorite episodes were Ed-centric. Ed is Ed. Isn't that enough?
16. Fullmetal Panic - Teletha Testarossa. You look into those eyes and you can't believe that you're looking at the captain of a submarine. Really. Try it. It's not that she's immature-looking... but her appearance just doesn't seem to fit her maturity properly, like O.J.'s glove. I don't know whether she purposefully fosters that deceptive nature, or it just happens. But I like it. I like it enough that even Sousuke's self-introduction isn't enough to top it.
17. Those Who Hunt Elves
Have at it. I may return tomorrow with some non-anime shows, assuming any leap to mind. For now, I think I have enough anime fans that there should be plenty of bold in that list by the end of the week.