Nidoking (nidoking) wrote,

Sometimes I'm barely getting out of bed when they want me to be AT WORK.

Today's Bridge: We pretty much lost across the board. The opponents bid and made a full rubber of contracts before we even had a chance to compete in the auctions, and then we bid a bit beyond our means. Ken entered the auction with 2H and I supported with two kings and three hearts - the barest of bare minimum hands, but I couldn't just pass, and he went up to a game that I'm pretty sure was off one no matter what, but he blocked himself from the established king of spades for off two. I stand by my raise to 5C with S A-x H A-Q-x D x-x C K-Q-J-x-x-x - with Ken's S K-10-x-x-x H x-x-x D x C A-10-9-x and the queen of spades led, the only way I fail to make the contract is if both the king of hearts and the jack of spades are offside. Kevin suggested establishing the long spade instead of running the spade finesse, but the odds of the suit splitting 3-3 given the lead are pretty bad, and I don't have enough board entries to ruff two spades and then get back to cash the last one. Maybe it was a better play, but it's tough to say. On a 3-3 split, I win the opening lead, pull trump, lose the heart finesse, ruff the second diamond, cash the king of spades, ruff a spade, then cross to the board's last trump and two good spades, sluffing the ace of hearts as you do. With the final hand, Paul opened 3C and Ken doubled - with S K-10-x-x H K-x-x D K-x-x C 10-x-x, I had to bid 3S, and he raised me to game. His hand was S A-Q-x H A-Q-x-x-x D A-x-x C Q-J. The opponents cashed two clubs and led a diamond, so I took it on the board and pulled trump, naturally giving up the jack on the last round. However, at that point, I had the ten of clubs and the king of diamonds, so I could win any lead and run hearts. For once, the split was 3-2 and the contract made. I definitely should have cashed both winners before starting on the hearts, just to hold it to off one in case the split was bad, but something had to work eventually.

I made it to work a bit earlier than usual, so I made up for it by cooking a dinner that took an hour and a half. At least there are leftovers for tomorrow. Tomorrow, I've set an alarm for 4:30, just to see how likely it is that I'll be able to make it to work for the next two days as early as they want me to. I have sincere doubts.

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded