Log in

Today's Bridge: We started with a flimsy slam attempt - I opened 1H with S J-9-x-x H A-Q-J-x-x-x D A C 4-2, and Dan C. went straight into Blackwood and then slam with S K-10-x H K-x-x D K-10-x C A-Q-x-x. That's no distributional value and barely enough for game opposite a minimum. As it was, the intermediates in spades might have been good enough if the queen of spades had been onside - I would just need a 3-3 spade split or the club finesse for my twelfth trick. But it wasn't, and without the spade finesse, I can't possibly make slam. The opponents stopped in game on the next hand and made that with an overtrick - it was another hand where the queen of spades being onside would have been worth twelve, as would correctly divining the trump layout. Then they went for a succession of contracts that failed before finally wrapping up a second game. We ended with a 2NT that I think should have been game - I had S x H A-10-x D 10-x-x-x C A-Q-J-10-x to Dan's S A-K-Q-x-x H Q-J-9-x D A-x-x C x. A diamond lead hurts us, but Ken started with a club to my ten. I counted eight tricks, somehow, but I knew I needed to set some up and ran a heart to the nine. Dan H. took the king and led another club, which I finessed to Ken's king. He led a third club, so I cashed my top two, leaving him with the top club, and cashed out the hearts. That left four spades in dummy along with the ace of diamonds, and Dan had thrown away enough spades that they were all good.

Today's Bridge: I finally managed to find a solution to the problem, somehow. I did a bunch of stuff and it was fixed. I'm not going to argue with that. The other problem is still there, but now I can start working on that directly and try to trace it to its source. There's no way I'll accomplish everything tomorrow, but I may be able to get things in good shape.

The anticipated recording session didn't happen tonight... maybe another time.
Today's Bridge: Not quite a strong a day as yesterday, but we edged out the competition. My partner really let me down in one hand, though.Collapse )

Today's Work: I may have learned some things about our software, but I don't think I made any progress toward making it work. On the bright side, I finally pinged the operators of our ticketing system, and they made the changes I requested all at once. There were a few things to be hammered out, and I'll need someone to test for me tomorrow, but as things stand, it's in decent shape and I'm happy with the new setup. So that's something.

I made parmesan chicken cutlets topped with bruschetta for dinner, which turned out pretty well even though I'm pretty sure they're not meant to be cooked in the oven. I just didn't feel like frying them.
Today's Bridge: The cards were kind today.Collapse )

Today's Work: InstallShield works now. I have no idea what changed. Unfortunately, the install has some problems, but I'm working on those. I think I resolved one of them right at the end of the day (again, with no idea what I did), but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to test it. We found another interesting problem with some recent work, relating to a faulty tutorial. I got that resolved pretty quickly, at least, but I have no idea why it works on most of our test systems and not others. There's one other thing that I have an idea how I might be able to fix, but it'll be a long, drawn-out process.

I made swordfish steak again, with pork and beef mozzarella-stuffed meatballs. It made a bit of a mess, but turned out okay. Not as good as I'd hoped. I probably just didn't cook it very well.

lp.zone is live, and looks pretty neat

I didn't make it to work today - my stomach was feeling really funny this morning, and I suspect last night's meatloaf may not have been cooked enough. Perhaps, if I ever make it again, I should just leave it in for two hours to make sure. I tried to do my exercises and made it through about three toe-touches before my stomach rebelled. It improved after breakfast, but I still didn't think I'd make it to work on snowy roads in any comfort. The snow melted during the day, but I had already given up on work and decided to take a laxative to help deal with the rest of the problems. I'm still waiting for it to have its intended effect. While waiting for that, I edited the rest of the Majin footage I have and played some Twilight Princess HD. I didn't make a whole lot of progress for how long I played, but it's early in the game yet. The pace is necessarily slow. I turned in a bunch of gold insects, taking advantage of the larger wallet the game gives you. it's nice not having to put up with Agitha's glare every time I leave with bugs in my pockets. So I didn't record any new commentary, but I'm not upset about that.
I woke up early and, even though I stayed in bed well over an hour, I still got up in time to buy groceries before grabbing breakfast, which gave me the whole day to goof off. I did that in style, of course, and took out a few bags of garbage while I was at it. I sat down to grab a few bits of video footage for a Majin video that was a bit too short, then recorded a few more full videos because I had everything set up for it. I edited the rest of the videos that I already had, but the new ones will have to wait. It's been snowing all day, so the drive to work tomorrow will probably be a bit slow.

Technology can be so frustrating

Things ran late enough last night that I just skipped writing an entry. I finished the part of the project that I was expecting to be the most difficult, but then when I tried to make an installable image, InstallShield kept crashing. It was a bit late to call tech support, so I'll do that on Monday. Today, I spent most of the day on Twitter writing up some video game opinions, but I did a Majin commentary along the way. As usual, that leaves all of the chores for Sunday, but I've got a lot of Youtube videos to watch while I shred receipts.

Still barely avoiding bad weather

Today's Bridge: We got off to a decent start, although Dan H. kind of cheaped out in the first hand. I had a couple of great hands followed by a succession of lousy ones.Collapse )

Today's Work: I had early training, then set to work on the remaining problems with the build. At the end of the day, I'd resolved them all enough to get a working build, but there are still some oddities that I want to look into further. Visual Studio 2015 seems to have some memory problems. Not unlike me. Then I came home and made fajitas. I only made half of what I had, so I'll have to cook again tomorrow night, but it's not a problem on a Friday night. I might even be able to do some commentary then.
There weren't enough people for Bridge today, so I buckled down and fixed all of the errors in the program. At least, all of the errors I knew of. I still have to try rebuilding the whole thing from scratch to make sure it all works. I got pulled off to do some documentation work in the afternoon, and there may be more of that tomorrow too. Still, we're nearing the end of the current stretch, and then it'll be time to see whether it all actually works. Of course, we haven't even installed the program to build the installer yet. There's a lot to do and we're hoping to get it done this week.
Today's Bridge: Dan H. and I had a much better showing than yesterday. Some of it was even worth talking about.Collapse )
Today's Bridge: It wasn't a good day above the line for us. Dan C. started by invoking Stayman and passing my 2D response, which is typically only done with a really long diamond suit and no clubs. What he had was S x H J-x-x-x D A-x-x-x C K-10-x-x to my S A-J-10 H A-x D K-J-x-x-x C A-x-x. I ducked the queen of spades on the opening lead in a Bath Coup, even though it really didn't buy me much. I lost the queen of trump in a safety play, but somehow managed to pick up the clubs and make five. That was our only real success, though - there was a goulash where I pushed things up too high (and Dan ruffed my ace of clubs on the first trick), a sacrifice, and a 2NT that seemed like a good bet, but Dan's power in spades was wasted opposite mine - I had S K-J-10-x H K-J-9 D J-x-x C x-x-x and he had S A-Q-x H x-x D A-K-x-x C Q-10-9-8. The expected heart lead (the unbid suit) gave me a seventh trick, but I had no way to get an eighth, and ended up with only five after the avalanche of hearts and clubs. They ended up underbidding two games to put together one.

Today's Work: It was a somewhat melancholy day, as one of our team members is leaving for a few weeks, but we made a lot of progress, and I got a bit more done after he left for the day. It should be easy enough to wrap up the current task tomorrow morning and get started on the part that I expect to be the hardest.

I got the shopping done without too much trouble, although I nearly forgot to buy stamps again. It wasn't even a particularly late evening, but I need to get things wrapped up yet. I spilled a little bit of tea while I was cleaning up after dinner.

I keep wanting to type Domino's

This weekend's manga: Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary 5, Dimension W 4, the first two books of Inspectre, My Monster Secret 5, Nichijou 6, Non Non Biyori 6, One-Punch Man 10, Arpeggio of Blue Steel 9, Interviews With Monster Girls 2, and all four omnibus volumes of Chi's Sweet Home. Perhaps not a whole lot, but that's the equivalent of twelve volumes of kitten. I think I can make that last.

It was my weekend for visiting Mom, and as we'd arranged, she got me a Dominion expansion for my birthday. We went to a local game store looking for more, but they didn't have any in yet, so I bought an interesting-looking Smash-Up Munchkin expansion and a couple of varieties of Fluxx. Then we went downtown to have dinner at The Boiling, with a detour through the mall along the way. We came out the wrong entrance, but decided to walk around the outside of the mall rather than trying to cut back through, and right across the street, there was another game store. We went in to take a look, and they had a bunch of Dominion sets, as well as tons of other great game stuff. They were even still going to be open after dinner, so we went back afterward and I bought four more boxes, a second-edition upgrade for Intrigue, and another Smash-Up expansion, Pretty Pink Smash-Up. As for dinner, there were things that could have been better - most of the family was unimpressed with their hottest sauce, and they said that substituting sausage for the potato and corn is something they wouldn't normally do, but having established that I'm diabetic, they were willing to do it for the difference in price. My eyes were burning through most of the evening, though, and I didn't sleep very well that night. The next day was pretty much devoted to a couple of meals and a few games of various Dominion expansions, and then I came home. I intended to do the grocery shopping, but I didn't feel like I could be away from home that long and made do with going around the corner for a large pizza. I ate half of that with what little salad I had left, and that gives me leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I'll have to do the grocery shopping tomorrow night after work, but hopefully, I'll feel up to it. Sleeping tonight would be a great start.


There weren't even enough people to play Exploding Kittens today, and it's a two-player game. So I did my time at work and came home a bit early. I made tilapia filets with sesame oil, lemon juice, Chesapeake Bay seasoning, and sesame seeds for dinner, and now I'm trying to think of anything else worth saying. Nothing comes to mind.
It was a good day of working from home, even though I was doing documentation the whole day. I was writing a document that tells people how to do their jobs in more detail, so now it's written down how things are supposed to be done that have been passed by word-of-mouth previously. Or it will be, once these changes become official and get passed around. I also got to test something that we've only tried on the work network. It worked fine from my house, so we're happy with it. Therapy basically established that I'm a bit happier than I thought I was. Then I got a birthday text and a couple of calls, one of which I only picked up because I happened to be downstairs brushing my teeth - I turned off the ringer on my home phone months ago and haven't bothered to turn it back on when I don't care about being interrupted. My life is a lot quieter now that all the scammers, surveys, and the FOP can't get to me anymore. They still call my cell phone all the time, but I don't want to mess with disabling those calls just yet. I think I can, on the new Android, but then I'd have to add contacts for anyone who might actually want to talk to me.

I wanted to get gas on the way home, but therapy ran later than usual and I didn't have time. So I had to go back out in the rain after work. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, though - I popped my remaining meatloaf into the oven, and used the hour and change it took to cook to go fuel up. It cooked pretty well, too. I even found the time to clean up a commentary before bed. Largely because it's so late. I should really stop doing this to myself, but I have an excuse today. I'm sure the me of tomorrow will understand.
Today's Bridge: We had one minor disaster of a hand, but it didn't put too much of a damper on the rubber overall. Jerry opened 2H to my right when I had S A-x-x H 4 D A-J-x-x-x C A-K-x-x, so I doubled. Dan H. responded 2S, so I bid 2NT, hoping to find a fit in one of the minors and REALLY hoping he wouldn't pass. With S J-10-9-x H Q-x D K-10-x-x C x-x-x, he passed. I think 3D is a pretty solid contract - we should get four or five diamonds, two clubs, a club ruff, and at least one spade. In notrump, Jerry took the first seven hearts, and I got the rest by finding the queen of diamonds. We also defended a 2NT that I almost doubled on the strength of Dan's takeout double and a fair bit of power in my hand, but it didn't seem prudent. We ended up making the contract ourselves.

Today's Work: We got as far as trying to install Visual Studio 2015. Every installer seemed to be missing important elements. There are options open for tomorrow, but I'll be at home working on our development plan, so I'll probably have to wait until Friday to find out how it goes. I'm also up way too late, even given that I don't have to drive to work or make lunch ahead of time, but I've slept little enough this week that I'm hoping to drift off fairly soon.

An excellent day for defense

Today's Bridge: We were on defense almost the entire day, but after the initial flimsy-looking 4S, the opponents didn't manage to make another contract, including a 1NT Dbl. I think they had the final 3S in the bag, but Ken misguessed the diamond position and gave up two tricks in the suit. I did get to play a 4D with S K-Q-x-x H A-x D 10-x-x C K-x-x-x facing S J-9-x H Q-x D A-K-Q-J-x-x C x-x - on the club lead, I had ten tricks after forcing out the ace of spades, and while I think spades broke 4-2, someone threw away two and my last spade became trick eleven.

Today's Work: While the progress we've made so far hasn't been promising, we're moving forward. Sort of. I spent a bit of the day in training, which has given me a lot more to do with the rest of my job. That occupied most of the rest of my day - I'm supposed to be auditing processes that the team isn't always following. That makes things tough.

I wasn't feeling too well this morning, so I'm hoping things will improve tomorrow. I don't know whether it was something I ate or just general malaise. I didn't sleep well, but I don't think that was related.
Expecting that I won't have time to do laundry this week, and knowing I won't have time to do it next weekend, I handled it today. I also shredded most of the rest of the paper from under my bed and a bunch of receipts - I could probably just throw them away unshredded, but I want to err on the side of caution. I also arranged payment for a couple of bills, did the groceries but forgot to buy stamps, and played a bit more Twilight Princess HD. There was a bit of excitement when my kitchen sink stopped up. Fortunately, I still had some drain cleaner, and that got rid of the standing water. The sink started to fill up again when I ran the hot water, but running the disposal took care of that, while spraying a small amount of water around the room. Just goes to show how exciting Mondays can be around here.

Meatloaf is tough to cook correctly.

Another mostly wasted day, but I got a Majin commentary done and recorded a few more gameplay videos. I also started Twilight Princess HD and got to Hyrule Field before I took a break for lunch and to recharge my gamepad. That leaves all of the chores and cleaning for tomorrow, as well as audio cleanup on that commentary, but it should be pretty smooth to get it all done. The grand total of ice from the devastating ice storm over the weekend was zero. None at all. I'm pissed off that I put off my weekend plans for this, but at least I know that if I ever want to guarantee that the weather will be pleasant, I just need to plan to stay home the whole time.

I get so tired except at bedtime

The work week ended, and that's about all I have to say about it. Winter weather is coming, although it was expected to have started by now and I haven't seen much. A bit of rain. This could always turn out to be a disappointingly weak winter storm, but I'm fine with that. I still stocked up on food for the weekend and remembered to order replacement CPAP supplies. I won't even have to leave the house until it's time to properly get groceries for the upcoming week. Ideally, I'll do some cleaning and concentrate on LP work. In practice, I'll probably sleep through chunks of it and watch Youtube videos the rest of the time.

In anticipation of the weather

Today's Bridge: Dan C. and I came together, and it was a complete shutout for two full rubbers and an extra hand. There were a few hands that may have been underbid, but for the most part, we bid what was there. I don't have much to write, though.Collapse )

Today's Work: A very frustrating day. One person made a couple of really big commits without ticket numbers, so I had to back those out and have her split the work into the appropriate tickets. Meanwhile, one of our team members who tends to forge ahead started installing our test system, a process which we were supposed to document extensively. Instead, we got his notes from memory after the fact, and no screenshots. We left off trying to find the original versions of some files that were later patched - we only seem to have the patched versions archived, and we need to know what the patches were. Then the IA lead took my computer to update something and never returned it. If I can't make it to work tomorrow, I'll have to take the whole day off. It's supposed to be clear most of tomorrow, though, until an ice storm starts in the evening, so I should be able to make it. My plan is to grab a couple of Subway sandwiches on the way home and save one in case I'm stuck at home due to the weekend weather. I should have enough supplies for breakfast and dinner on Saturday, and by then I'm sure I'll be able to drive around town if necessary. Or things might be fine and I'll go ahead with my other plans. We'll see. At least it was just heavy rain today, and I wasn't outside in the very worst of it. I got inside just in time.
Today's Bridge: Dan C. was out and Ken was busy, so Raymond filled in. Jerry and I took on him and Dan H., and it was hardly glorious, but we came out on top. I used the Stayman convention to transfer to clubs over Jerry's 1NT opener with S J-x H K-x-x D x-x-x C A-J-10-9-8 or thereabouts, but he corrected back to 3NT and I had to leave him there. He managed to make it. I also had to pass a 2NT opener with all of a jack to my name, and he barely made that. Interestingly, I think he had a singleton ace of clubs, which is not notrump distribution. The only hand I got to play was S K-x-x-x-x H x-x D K C A-K-9-x-x - I opened 1S, Jerry responded 2H, and I jumped to 4C to show the second five-card suit. Unfortunately, all he had was H A-10-x-x-x-x-x D Q-x-x-x C x-x, far short of the 11 points he'd promised. The opening diamond lead ran to my king, so I ruffed a club, ruffed a diamond (Dan H. threw a spade), and ruffed another spade. Having established that, I crossed to the ace of hearts and ruffed my last diamond, on which Dan H. threw the queen of spades. Surprised, I led a low spade, but the jack won, and even had the king set up, it would have been ruffed. Off one was pretty darn good on those cards, though. The opponents ended with a 4H off two, largely to get over a 3S that we probably would have made, even with fairly weak hands - we had six spade tricks easily, and three on the side with two top diamonds and my K-x of hearts on the almost certain heart lead. As for 4H, we took our ace of spades and the two diamonds, and with Q-10-x-x-x-x in hand and A-x in dummy, Dan couldn't avoid losing a heart - leading from dummy gives me the king, running anything from his hand but the queen gives Jerry the jack, and running the queen lets me choose whether to cover and set up the jack or duck and also set up the jack once Dan takes the ace. As it was, I ducked, just in case Jerry had three to the ten, to prevent the finesse. Granted, he can just cash the ace, cross back to his hand, and cash the jack, but it worked out.

Today's Work: We got the new sprint kicked off, and I put in some requests for updating our ticket workflow. I'll have to see how that works out starting tomorrow. That was about it. We're still trying to wrap up the loose ends from the last sprint, which is tough to do when the current sprint is the priority.

I got a slightly late start, but I still managed to inflate the low tire, and the pressure light never came back on, so I'm satisfied with that. Then I came home and cooked a duck breast for dinner. It says it's easy, but it's got more steps than most things I cook, and needed to be cooked on the stove and then put in the oven. It tasted pretty good, though.


RSS Atom


Yes, I'm THAT Nidoking. Sometimes I write fanfiction... often I waste all my time playing video games and watching anime. But it's not a waste if I enjoy it, right? I can quote from a movie, video game, anime series, or British comedy apropos of just about any situation, and one of my main goals in life is to entertain people. (The other big one is amassing as much anime and manga as I can... see below for a progress report.) That's me in a nutshell. ("Help! I'm trapped in a nutshell! What a bloody great nutshell this is!")
Powered by LiveJournal.com